Books and Podcasts
Try to switch off from the TV or tablet, and pick up a book or listen to an audiobook or podcast.
Reading is an excellent way to pass the time. Find a comfortable nook in your home (or in your garden if you have one!) and sit back with a good book.
If you can’t focus on reading a book, try listening to an audiobook instead. You can hear a good story whilst you get on with something else.
Fictional book series
For those looking for a full on adventure, reading a book series is the right choice!
- His Dark Materials Trilogy and The Book of Dust Trilogy by Philip Pullman
- The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling
- A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin
- The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
- James Bond series by Ian Fleming
Quick reads and short stories
Great for those who don’t want to commit to a long read or book series.
- Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
- My Sister the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite
- The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King
More interested in facts than fiction? These books will do the trick!
- Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body’s Most Underrated Organ by Giulia Enders
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari
- SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
The perfect escape for one off adventures!
- Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
- Circe by Madeline Miller
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Crime, Thriller, and Mystery
Reckon you’re a bit of a detective? Try these books.
- Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John le Carré
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
If you are after something different, podcasts are a great way to learn new things, listen to stories, or even have a bit of a laugh.
No Such Thing As A Fish
A weekly podcast where the writers of the hit show QI come together to discuss the interesting facts they’ve found out. Packed with impressive and silly facts that you’re sure to tell everyone you know.
Fearne Cotton talks to incredible people about life, love, loss, and everything in between as she reveals what happiness means to them. Includes guests such as Mary Berry, Joe Wicks, and Hozier.
Grounded with Louis Theroux
Stuck at home, Louis is using the lockdown to track down some high-profile people he’s been longing to talk to – from all walks of life and on both sides of the Atlantic.